Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrosion Probes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

we need to provide corrosion probes in a gas service pipeline. it's sweet gas service.we had provided simlar kind for Sour gas service. But i'm not sure why we should be using them for Sweet Gas service. Can anybody please guide me thru that? Thanx in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All sweet means is, there is less than .05 psi partial pressure H2S. That doesn't discount the possibility of CO2 or chlorides in wet gas or some other corrosive media.

pra-101,
You should find out the source of your requirement. Who give this comment to you? It's not necessary for me to add corrosion probe in the existing system if there is no trend of high corrosion rate.

Are you using carbon steel for the pipeline? For sweet service you would probably only consider corrosion probes if you were expecting the gas to be wet and containing CO2 or chlorides as Hush said. There is also a cost element, it's much cheaper to include corrosion probes at the design stage than retrofit the fittings and intrinsically safe wiring. So if the service life is likely to be extended or there is uncertainty about the service, corrosion probes can provide an excellent history.
You could also use dewpoint monitoring to determine whether you have the free water for corrosion, although I have heard of that not working very accurately.
Out of interest what type of corrosion probes have been specified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back