Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrosion rate of carbon & stainless steel in 10% HCl 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVP

Materials
Apr 12, 2002
US
I am looking for general corrosion rate data (mm/year or mils/year) for Type 304 stainless steel and a basic carbon steel that would qualify as a grade 5 fastener under SAE J 429, i.e. medium carbon steel (0.28 to 0.55% carbon content). The temperature range of interest is ambient to 200 F. The ASM HANDBOOKS do not have actual numbers that I could find, just statements like "Stainless steels are generally not used for HCl service". Got any numbers for me mcguire-[smarty]?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The numbers are that both carbon steel and stainless steel(304) have greater than 1.0mm/year general corrosion rate at ambient and up.
These rates are so unsatisfactory that differentiation is not too interesting to researchers.
An interesting point is that when the elements like chromium that make an alloy passive cannot form a stable oxide ( or hydroxide ) then they actually increase the corrosion rate. That's why stainless must be designed to be assuredly passive in the environment in which it's used.
HCl is used to pickle carbon steel. It goes after it rapidly. It would be for stainless but the attack is too uneven, making for a rough, pitted surface.
I have a nice Powerpoint short course on stainless corrosion which I would like to post on a website, but I don't know how to do that. Anyone want to help?

Mcguire - I do not know how to post to a website, but I would very interested in the presentation. Any chance you would e-mail it to me. My company is experiencing alot of stainless steel corrosion problems right now. I have been designated to get smart on the subject quickly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mead, reach me at MFM304@AOL.COM with your address and particulars and we'll see what we can do.

TVP, by the way, the above data comes from the Stainless Steel Handbook by Peckner and Bernstein. It's from the 1970's and is out of print, unfortunately. The data quoted was from a section written by Avesta who still ahve the best corrosion R&D lab.

TVP
I found some more data in Sedrik's "corrosion of stainless steel".In 20C 10%HCl 304 and 316 have weight loss rates of 50 g/sq.mm./day. Carbon steel's is more than 100 times greater. Apparently, stainless is partially passive under these conditions. The rates should converge as passivity is lost.

Mcquire,
I would be interested in the Powerpoint presentation also. We are currently battling stainless steel corrosion and stress cracking on our extrusion cooling systems. The RO water source was accidentally contaminated with a cloride containing mixture.
thanks

You need to send me an email address to get the presentation. While you're at it, describe the problem and I may be able to give some additional information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back