Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrosion Rates for Metals 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

josemg

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2003
PR
I have been looking for a good reference of Corrosion Rates for Metals that classifies the environment conditions (Atmospheric or Pressurized) and publishes the material loss / year with units of depth per time (i.e. micrometer / year or thousands of an inch / year).

So far the only thing I have found is that ISO9223 has some Classifiaction for Atmospheric corrosion as TOW (time of wetnes), Sulfide and Chloride content of environment and gives levels of corrosion rate as micrometer/year and other units.

Please advise where can I find a more complete references or handbook with such information.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I recall two NACE hand-books. (Metallic / Non-Metallic)
fairly old revisions. I'll get you the details; the handbooks outline different solutions / concerntrations / temperatures and corresponding corrosion rates.

Regards,

There is a corrosion handbook by Avesta Sheffield which has the type of data you might be looking for. Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R
Ph: 0097143968906
Mob: 00971507682668

The National Association of Corrosion Engineers put out a book years ago containing a survey of many different chemicals. I am not sure if it is still available, however, a portion of it is included in Carpenter Technologies data book for their Carpenter 20Cb-3 Stainless brochure.

I'm looking for similar information. I am in the ship repair industry and trying to come up with a way to predict corrosion rates for a saltwater tank on a ship. The tank is sometimes filled with saltwater, in which case zincs provide protection against galvanic corrosion. Most of the time, however, the tank is only partially filled with saltwater. In this instance, the zincs do absolutely nothing to protect the upper portion of the tank not submerged in saltwater.

The upper tank is subject to being wetted by saltwater and when not actually wet it is in an environment of "salty air".

I checked and the equation on page 52 is the closest I have come to an answer. I will appreciate any information that someone might provide.

Try "Handbook of Corrosion Data" published by ASM International. Pages 679 to 706 cover seawater corrosion. Goto their web site and search the Bookstore for "Handbook of Corrosion Data" for this book or just "Corrosion" for a larger list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back