Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Corrosive Environment ACI/NJDOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zrebse

Geotechnical
Nov 5, 2012
US
I am trying to show that corrosion protection is not needed for a foundation design and I am looking for a corrosive environment definition or guidelines according to ACI or NJDOT (the project is is NJ). Soil testing was conducted for resistivity, pH, and chloride and sulfide content. The results were:

resistivity = 7000 ohm-cm at water content = 12%
resistivity = 5900 ohm-cm at water content = 27.6%
pH = 7.1
chloride = < 22 ppm (reporting limit)
sulfide = < 270 ppm (reporting limit)

Based on the corrosion guidelines put out by the California DOT (chloride < 500 ppm; sulfate < 2000 ppm; pH > 5.5), these results indicate a non-corrosive environment. However, since my project is in NJ I am hoping to find a local (NJ) reference or widely accepted guideline (ACI) to support that there is no need for corrosion protection measures for the foundation concrete and reinforcing steel.

I also checked the NACE corrosivity rating which classifies the soil as moderately corrosive based on the resistivity between 5,000 and 10,000 ppm. However, my understanding is that resistivity is used as an indicator for chloride and sulfate so since I have no chloride/sulfide detection, the resistivity is irrelevant.

Any input/resources would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back