Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COSMOS Beam element

Status
Not open for further replies.

getafix0

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2006
US
I am trying to analyze a beam element tube frame vehicle chassis model in COSMOS using the beam element analysis. I am running into issues with Cosmos telling me that "PCG Iterative solver stopped. Status Code 2: Preconditioner_fails_to_factor. May not have sufficient restraints. No results saved"

I have been trying to test the frame using multiple methods. The test work when I assign all tubes as beams (not trusses) with fixed ends. Once I attempt to input my suspension components as either trusses or beams with pins at either end this message appears.

I know I have sufficiently constrained the model as I have added 4 fixed points to the rear of the chassis, and applied my torsion loads to the front hubs.

What is causing this issue and how can I solve it?

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, Try using the DIRECT SPARSE solver instead of the this FFE solver.
If problem still occurs, Check the .OUT file and see which NODE or ELEMENT is problematic.

I tried the direct sparse solver and that did not work, it gave me another error. I have been looking in the .out files but it does not have a line that references what node was giving me an issue or matrix diagonal. It states what the error was, number of nodes, and what options I had, but that is it. Is there another error log file I can view? The error I get is "stiffness matrix diagonal is 0 at equation 125"

I tried to use a soft spring to stabilize the model and inertial relief and I get a solution, but a very unrealistic one. It also pops up with a large displacement warning. I will see if perhaps adding the steering tie rod will help stabilize the system. Any other ideas?

I tried the steering tie rod and now I get a new error, that says "excessive reverse offsets at two ends of beam". Any ideas of what that means?
Here are some pictures of what my current setup is:
chassisFEA1.jpg

chassisFEA2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back