Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cosmos Mesh "Failure"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traveller

Mechanical
May 24, 2002
US
I'm attempting a static analysis on a structural part (see linked jpeg file). You can see the forces and most of the restraints are visible in the jpeg view. In the feature tree you can see that this is a machined part, derived from casting model 1024636.

I get a meshing error: "Mesh and Model Volumes are Significantly Different". Then the mesh icon shows a green check mark as though the mesh were successful, but no elements are generated and the analysis will not run. The mesh details indicate no elements or nodes exist after the attempted mesh.

I've deleted any unused suppressed features, tried various mesh options in the mesh control dialog, etc. The jpeg shows the dialogs ... any suggestions? I think this may be related to the external reference (the casting link).

Thanks in advance ...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The way our company models a machined casting is to model the casting as a separate file (i.e., 1024636 - see the jpeg above), then import the casting into another model (1024637) where cut-revolve, cut-extrude and other features are applied to the embedded casting model to arrive at the final machined configuration. When you delete the embedded casting model there is nothing for the cut features to do and you end up with a blank model.

Instead of that, my next attempt will be to simply apply the cut features to the casting file directly rather than as an embedded object. Then it will probably mesh without trouble.

Thanks for the suggestion.

FN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back