Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COSMOS modelling of sheet metal assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalculatorDave

Mechanical
May 26, 2003
US
Hi all,

I am trying to model a multiple-part sheet metal assembly in COSMOS/Works. I am attempting to build the entire model with surfaces (instead of with solids), to make it easier to select surfaces for shell-meshing. That is to say, if I WERE to build the sheet metal structure from solids, it would be very time-consuming to select the surfaces that I want to mesh (I don't want to mesh both sides of the sheet metal!). Anyway, this method makes it easy to mesh (although the meshes between adjacent sheet metal parts do not match), but, when I run the actual analysis, I get messages saying that there are "not sufficient constraints". This mystifies me, as I have restrained the model. Any advice on modelling multiple-part sheet metal assemblies in COSMOS?

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you have one or more nodes unconnected.
I never use Cosmos, but you must have the option of merge nodes (check help).
I remember about a discussion with Solid Works representative, he says me about a feature of extracting mid-faces from solid automatically.
Regards

To make sure that your mesh from one surface to the next matches exactly, you must use the Split Line tool in SolidWorks. If done correctly, this will solve your problem of insufficient constraints. What I mean by that is if the mesh does not match (and thus the nodes on adjacent surfaces do not get merged) then the restraints do not get transferred to the entire model.

You can find out why the model is insufficiently constrained by this method: in the study properties, choose the "soft spring" option for either the Direct Sparse or FFEPlus solvers. This will allow the model to be sufficiently constrained enough to run all the way through. Then you can animate the results to find out what is going on. Using that information, fix your model (like I suggested above) and run again. But make sure you turn off soft spring before making your final run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back