Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cosmos Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriegen

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2006
US
Hello Folks
I am a newbie when it comes to Cosmos and am trying to do some static testing for wire welded trays. I have been able to do point force static testing in the Cosmos, but it never seems to come out right. What could simulate that better?
I have also simulated a plate being set on top of the tray and putting the load on the top face of the plate. This produces a result with the plate phasing through the tray and not completely coming in contact with the tray. I have set my global contacts to bonded but it still will not collide. What could be the problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
bonded contact: if the bodies are not initially "realy" in contact, the contact is "open" and so will be ignored.

Regards

I would drop the wire model and analyze a flat plate analog that has the same mechanical responses as the trays. As long as the stiffness and Poisson's ratio are the same as the real thing you should get fairly accurate results, worth a shot anyway. Compare the yield to the min yield of the wire used.

You may also want to try using a shell mesh if not already doing so.

texag

If I understand correctly what you mean with "wire tray" and depending stiffness, constraints and nature of load, you might also like to include geometrical non-linear effects.

This can typically yield a much higher and more realistic load capability.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back