Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cost-effective Remotely Resettable Modems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igorethelabrat

Electrical
May 8, 2009
US
I was wondering if anyone knows of a cost-effective remotely resettable modem?

The problem is that after a certain period of time, without someone dialing in, the modems lock-up and we have to send a route-tech out to the site to manually reset the modem.

The modem must be dc-powered at preferably -48vdc.
The modem must be able to automatically reset during a lock-up.
The modem must have a "programmable ring" feature.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did find that product when I checked out the site and I sent it up the ladder. Unfortunately, it was shot down because, with the PT series controller as well, it would be over budget. Thanks!

I'll check it out, it's a maybe. Depends on what the "powers that be" have to say. Thanks for sending me the link! I'll post an update when I find out.

Although that was a neat trick with the link, I have already been through servertech's stuff. They have what we need, but, unfortunately, I have been given a very small budget to work with, and the servertech stuff is out of budget. I'm not sure if there is a solution to my problem out there for $200.

Thanks, for trying.

We have a similar problem using USB port broadband cellular modems to move data from isolated sites. Some times the modems will run for a week before they go braindead, some times an hour. The only solution is to unplug and replug the USB line. Linux seems to have no facility for removing and reapplying power to a USB port.

Our kludgy system is a process that pings a site that should always be available every ten minutes or so. When the ping fails, reboot the system. Ugly but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back