Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cost estimation

Status
Not open for further replies.

oaky

Industrial
Nov 24, 2002
US
I'm trying to estimate the cost of a small sheet metal part. The part is basically rectangular, 2x1 inches, with a half inch on two of the sides bent up to form a U shaped bracket. There needs to be 3 counter sunk holes for small screws to go through it and strong enough to with stand say about 500lbs. shear force. Can anyone tell me approximately how much this part would cost to manufacture? For example, material cost, what kind of material would be best, tooling cost, production runs cost, and anything else that might add to the cost of this part. Also, what types of sheet metal manufacturing processes would this require? punching? bending?

Thank you for any help,
oaky

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey Oaky,

If you can create a sketch, you'll find quite a few fabrication shops willing to quote the part to you. You'll want a fab shop with a shear, a brake (for bending), and a punch (some shears also have a punch). If you can get away without countersunk holes, you'll save money. C'sinking requires machining (drilling). One alternative is to punch the holes. You may be able to find a shop with a water jet or laser that can cut out the flat pattern and holes (or slots). Such capabilities are becoming much more common place. Send me an e-mail and I'll give you a shop contact in NC.

The choice of material will have a lot to do with the intended service. Are you going to paint or otherwise coat it? Stainless steel parts don't have to be painted but stainless is more expensive than carbon steel. Galvanized sheet metal is also available but onece the edges are cut they won't be coated. Of course you can have the finished part galvanized, as well. You see, there are several choices.

bouyscout

Bouyscout,

Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful. sorry i'm just now getting back to you but i had almost given up on someone responding.

question, if the part is thin enough can the punch create the c'sunk hole? the hole is actually a tapered sunk hole, if there is any difference. its shaped like this / \. it would be for a small tapered bult head to fit in so that it is flush with the outside edge. can the water jet or laser create this kind of hole? do you know how thin the sheet metal can be yet still be strong enough to support a couple hundred pound? 500lb. is an over estimation, 200 or 250 would be more accurate.

the part does not need to be painted but does need to be deburred. will this require an additional process?

can i fax a hand drawing to the shops you're talking about? what is your email address?

thank you again, so much.

oaky

I don't know if your still looking for this...but if the material is thin enough, you could coin it to create the csink angle...we do quite a bit of coining here, the only caveat is that coining will sap a lot of tonnage.

Alan M. Etzkorn
Hoffco/Comet Industries Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back