Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cost Justification for Injection Molding Machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alelo

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2002
CO
I would like to make a cost justification for the purchase of one injection molding machine of 700 TON. My prospects to compare are between:

· Used machines
· Taiwan, Korean or Chinese machines
· First level machines (Engel, Milacron, Krauss, Husky)

What advantage and disadvantage, technology comparison, cost-benefit could you suggest.

Thank you for your comments, articles or links.

I appreciate your supprot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A very complex question. It depends greatly on the type of work you do

If you are moulding engineering parts with 1" section, the machine speed and accurate control becomes irelevant, however, if you mould thin section, fast cycle, the machine speed and control becomes very critical Regards
pat

First calc your finances. What is available for capital, while producing desired profitability?. Then describe the product mix and throughput that the machine is expected to produce. Now put on your negotiating cap and aquire the best piece of equipment that fullfills the above.

Always buy the very best equipment that you can afford, even if you don't need the quality at this present time. Cheap equipment will always bite you in the end ( "end" as in time frame and anatomical location LOL)

I agree partly with ornerynorsk, in that it makes good sense to invest in durability and reliability, but each machine manufacturer makes compromise decisions re numerous qualities, including cost of manufacture, cost of maintainance, durability, reliability, speed (dry cycle), control, power consumption, speed of die change, versatility.

Pay a little more to ensure it will do the jobs, current and future, but don't pay for exotic, expensive features that you will never use.

For example, if you have a one minute cooling time, cutting half a second of the closeing time, or a second of the fill time, makes little difference in percentage terms re total cycle, however you still need to pay the bill for the extra capital investment, while the machine sits idle, waiting for the part to cool. On the other hand, if you have a high efficiency barrel with high speed mixing and high shear, to improve cycle times in a thin wall PP packaging application, you may very well degrade extrusion grade polycarbonate, being used in a transparent surfboard fin, or a thick wall acrylic lense for instance.

It really is horses for courses. Regards
pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back