Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cost of Precast Concrete (High Performance, Fly ash Included) vs Cast on Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Respawn

Structural
Sep 28, 2020
US
I'm having a hard time quantifying cost of precast (High f'c, fly ash in mix) vs Cast In place. I have done a lot of research but can't seem to find a decent answer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Answers you get on this site, from engineers in different parts of the world, won't be of much help. Precast and cast in place concrete are essentially two different materials, and their comparative usage and economy vary greatly from place to place. You need to research your locale, not the internet.

Respawn - There is a way to get a clue... if precast is readily available and widely used in a certain area, it must be at least cost competitive with cast-in-place or it would not be manufactured. Then talk to others as suggested.

If precast cannot be found, cast-in-place has the cost advantage.

[idea]

and if you have a kazillion different parts, you use precast like they did for the Montreal stadium... I never did understand that. You have to have a high repetitive number of the same item.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back