Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cost per fixture of 3 lamp vs. 4 lamp fluorescent type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senselessticker

Electrical
May 28, 2004
US
I was speaking to a friend the other day who is a GC and does residential and commercial construction. He indicated to me that 3 lamp fixtures are much more expensive than 4 lamp fixtures (2x4 flurescent - T8 type). I'm curious if this is simply an issue of supply and demand affecting the cost, or is there another reason for 3 lamp fixtures being so much more expensive (almost double in cost with much longer lead time)? Something to do with ballast perhaps??? Does anyone have insight into this? I'm just curious...

Thanks,

Sense

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From a component standpoint, there shouldn't be any reason a 3 lamp fixture costs more than a 4 lamp fixture when it comes to T8. Actually, the 4 lamp should be slightly higher given the extra sockets and labor for wiring. A 3 lamp ballast is the same price as a 4 lamp ballast (at least from an OEM standpoint). The only explanation I can think of is that with a 4 lamp fixture the ballast is located between the 2 lamp sets. With a 3 lamp fixture you are forced to move the ballast somewhere else since there is now a lamp running down the center of the fixture. Maybe that means more material in the housing - maybe that means it's a completely different fixture which could be your supply/demand.

From an Electrical Contractor's perspective, I don't know where your friend is getting his information. A 3-Lamp T8 Fluorescent Troffer runs about $68.00 with Lamps, a 4-Lamp T8 Fluorescent Troffer About $72.00. The only cost difference is the extra lamp and sockets. In most areas of the Country where we are concerned with Energy Compliance, 4-Lamp Fluorescent Fixtures are almost a thing of the past, as they are much more difficult to meet Lighting Compliance with. Most major Lighting Manufacturers maintain huge stocks of 3-Lamp fixtures, and can ship almost any quantity in 24 hours.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back