Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Could EM emissions prior to an earthquake affect Lithium-ion batteries? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, please. Remove that superstition!

There may be some electromagnetic field changes prior to en earth-quake. Yes. But the order of magnitude is way below (hundreds or thousands of times lower, maybe million times lower - depending on housing and shielding effects) anything that can influence an Li-ion battery.

The battery in itself is probably a much greater risk than anything emanating from an earth-quake. Tropical thunderstorms produce much intenser electric and magnetic fields than an earth-quake can. And still do not threaten the battery.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Nonsense. please remove it. This "theory" (actually a "guess" which is nowhere near the validity of a theory) is similar to the "theory" that the moon's weak gravitational pull will cause significant tides in the human body, that water 50ft under the rocks will cause a forked stick to feel a significant downward force, that a refrigerator magnet taped to the skin will have significant effect on ions in the blood stream and will cause healing. (I hate that word. Psuedo-science believers always seem to think we need "healing" but, that's just my bias).

Darrell Hambley P.E.
SENTEK Engineering, LLC

Very good! You removed it.

I cannot thank you enough for that. Most *d*ots refuse to learn. You are obviously not an *d*ot.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back