Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Could steam-powered cars decrease the CO2 in the atmosphere? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can anyone cite the relative efficiencies of battery->electric motor->rotational motion vs battery->boiler->piston->crank->rotational motion? Pretty sure a steam engine loses...

Wierd article. Starts touting steam cars, ends touting electric cars...

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Well, I was puzzled by this article in more ways than one...

Then I went to check this "Wesleyan University" and in their website they present themselves as:
"Wesleyan University, founded in 1831, is a diverse, energetic liberal arts community where critical thinking and practical idealism go hand in hand".

I'm not fully acquainted with the US higher education nomenclature, but does Liberal Arts include Physics, Maths and Science in general?

I recall the stanley steemer used gasolene, or kerosene. So no it would not reduce CO2.
The other problem is the water pump was attached to the rear axle, so to pump fresh water into it, one would need to jack up the rear of the car and run the drive to pump the water.
See video's with J Leno racing his steemer.

That said, at one time, coal plants used fireless steam engines to ferry around coal cars. They got there steam from the power plant it self. Just fill it up every few hours.

In public education stateside there was a big push several decades ago to focus on STEM curriculum (science, technology, engineering, and math) specifically to help push kids toward fields which they could earn a decent living (and away from less useful liberal arts). Then liberal arts teachers got involved, so now the politically correct acronym is STEAM and focusing on in-demand careers with real paychecks is verboten.

I enjoy steam cars but no, I don’t see work being gained except by the media and shills.

And how is the steam produced?.....hint: by burning SOMETHING, uh-oh...back to burning wood, gas, or whatever.

The same argument is true for electric vehicles. Where does the energy come from to charge the batteries? The power grid (assuming the grid can handle to additional demand).
Where does the energy from the power grid come from? Nuclear, coal, natural gas, solar?

The EV folks promote battery powered cars like a magical, environmentally friendly replacement for gas powered cars.
Granted, it may be cleaner depending on the energy source used to charge the batteries.
But the energy has to come from somewhere. Thats the dirty little secret that is not talked about.
Just because you don't see pollution coming out of the tailpipe, doesn't mean that pollution is not being produced to power cars.
Its just produced earlier in the supply chain.

MotorCity said:
And how is the steam produced?.....hint: by burning SOMETHING, uh-oh...back to burning wood, gas, or whatever.

The author of the article acknowledges this. The combustion is a constant process, so burning can be more efficient. There is still CO[sub]2[/sub] pollution. I recall being told in college that very large steam turbines, i.e., ones that don't fit in cars, are very efficient. I wonder how efficient automobile sized turbines are.

--
JHG

There maybe some niches for steam, i have wondered about applications that would otherwise end up using bio-fuel. Tractors being one example, particularity as they are often at the end of a long thin supply chain. The economics start looking better if you can just use local feedstock for fuel.

Maybe for generating electricity and then using heat for greenhouses or similar but for things that move on land they are just too heavy and don't like all that water slopping around.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I guess that steam engines could have a higher efficiency than an ICE, (from above around 10%) but modern ICE has a better efficiency than that. If it was a turbine i guess you would max out around 50% (combined turbine and biler)? Thats better than modern day ICE i think?

--- Best regards, Morten Andersen

Just because you are burning something does not necessarily need to produce CO2. Example, the burning of NH4 in oxygen would not produce CO2.
To get NH4, one would likely need to produce CO2, but that is a different issue.

A solar car could, in theory, use solar panels to charge it. Not likely to happen.

We could burn hydrogen to create steam, but most H2 comes from electric production, or fossil fuels.

We can run a car/truck on wood using a otto cycle engine. But that would involve gasifying some of the wood to produce the fuel for the otto cycle engine.
EPRI had a paper years ago on whole tree burning to produce electricity. Still not been tried.

I've seen FEMA's emergency guide for farmers to build a DIY wood gas generator to run tractors in case of a shortage of fossil fuels. Pretty neat. Doesn't solve general pollution concerns or carbon emissions, though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back