Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Countries allowing 433 MHz telemetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

searsjames

Electrical
Oct 23, 2003
US
Merry Christmas!

This relates to the cow questions. What countries allow 433 Mhz telemetry with low duty cycle? I already 433 usage is harmonized in Europe and the US.

How about Canada, Austrailia, Brazil, Japan, and Argentina?

Much thanks

jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since 433 MHz is already in an Amateur Radio Band and to my knowledge the FCC hasn't made an official ruling, I am not too sure that it has officially been "harmonized" in the U.S.. The initial issue of using 433 MHz brought about a large outcry from the Amateur Radio community. It was as if the FCC just decided to throw Part 15 of the FCC Regulations out in the weeds and let anything go as far as unlicensed devices.

With the 902-928 MHz allocation already being available in the U.S. it is beyond me why the FCC would even respond to the whining of some company that for capitalistic reasons didn't want to have to redesign a device that was being marketed in Europe so that it would conform to current Part 15 Regulations.

However, if you follow the FCC's current trend of responding to political pressure from the heavily "moneyed" industry special interest groups all of the above is no real suprise.

BPL high speed data transmission is just another example of a technology that has been tried and abandoned in several other countries yet the FCC is championing the technology in the face of a LOT of opposition from Amateur Radio and even their own sister organization FEMA, so go figure. Money is about all that affects the political process anymore!! Common sense, good engineering practice and ethics seem to have evaporated from the FCC's vocabulary!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back