Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

coupled electrostatic-strucural analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

srosset

Electrical
Feb 10, 2005
CH
I have some trouble to simulate coupled field physics and I hope that you will be able to give me advices. What I am trying to do is pretty simple : I'd like to model an elecroactive polymer plate. It is simply a dielectric plate of elastomer whose top and bottom surface are made conductive. A voltage is applied and the electrostatic force compresses the polymer (i.e. thickness decrases and area expands in the case of free in-plane boundary conditions)
So I created a physics file for the electrostatic analysis, applying the voltage as boundary condiditions
And I also created a structural physics file with an hyperelastic model, fixing the vertical displacement to 0.
Of course, I'd like to apply the electrostatic force computed from the electrostatic analysis as a force on both side of the plate in the structural analysis, but I can't get it to work.

The ESSOLVE macro seems to make a big difference between the structural and non-structural part (i.e. remeshing of the air in the typical electrostatic beam example), but in my case, there is no difference between the structural and non-structural part. The electrostatic fields takes place inside the structural structure.

So Should I go manually by using LDREAD? But in that case, in the help file, I couldn't find the way to apply "electrostatic forces calculated from the electrostatic energy as structural forces in the structural analysis"

Thanks in advance for your help...

Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back