Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CP dipcheck and underwater CP survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadieKerang

Materials
Oct 11, 2010
MY
Dear all,

I would like to known is there any different between CP dipcheck (potential survey using reference anode) with underwater CP survey on structure and pipeline which the reading is taken directly from the substrate. Some say that CP dipcheck is very important in eveluate the estimated potential to ensure the reading within the range before actual CP survey is happening. Is it justified to remove CP dipcheck,currently it is 3 yearly frequency and only concentrate with underwater CP survey which is 5 to 10 yearly. Appreciate your view.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hello
i have only few knowledge on CP so I cannont understand the 2 methods you are refering to...

1/ measure of the electric potential difference between a reference electrode and a contact with the metallic surface to be evaluated (what you called dipcheck ?)

2/ pipeline which the reading is taken directly from the substrate (<< what does it mean ? measure of electric potential difference between what please?

also, what type of CP was implemented ? (applied current / applied potential / sacrificial anodes ?)

regards

Please define "dipcheck" for us, this is some sort of slang used in the Louisiana bayou or something? We don't know what this means. What you're describing, both survey methods would need to use a reference electrode. Are you talking about a native (non-polarized) potential survey (as your underwater survey), and the dipcheck polarized survey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back