Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CPI Separator Design Assistance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watro

Chemical
Apr 10, 2012
IN
We are on task to review and FEED design a CPI separator and require design assistance in terms basic design guidelines or with spread sheet

Regards
NM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

WE really can't provide assistance unless you have a specific question?

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Ash

We need to design a system for 50 m3/hr with a feed oil of 150 mg/l, 100 mg/l TSS with an oil droplet size of 30 micron and above.
Removal of oil should be >90%. I am looking for design guidelines or simple spread sheet to see the basic sizes of the tank, required plate pack, pack volume

Do you know what the SG of the oil is?
My assumption is , that given you are planning to use a CPI that the oil is mostly non emulsified. Is this correct?
Plate separators generally work better with oil drops 60 micron or larger. This is especially important because you are looking for high removal efficiencies.
As a starting point you can process about 0.5m3/hr per m2 of plate area if you have 60 micron or larger oil droplets and the SG is about 0.9.You are probably going to need a lot more area or a lower loading rate if most of your droplets are a lot smaller than 30 micron. Alternatively the removal efficiency will be lower.

Regards
Ashtree

That is a relatively small oil/water separator.

Most users will buy a pre-engineered and prefabricated unit rather than constructed a custom made unit.

Refer to the brochure from Siemens:

Siemens Link

My comment above should read:
"You are probably going to need a lot more area or a lower loading rate if most of your droplets are a lot smaller than 60 micron."

I would agree with bimr comment on design and construction of such a unit. Buy one off the shelf if you can. But look at the plate area, flow rates, removal efficiencies, acceptable solids loading etc of the units you are considering.

Regards
Ashtree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back