Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Crane annual load testing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumpjones

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2000
US
I am having a dispute with a vendor. The vendor claims that I must load test my cranes annually. I have read and reread the OSHA and ASME standards and only find frequent and period inspection requirements. Where is he getting his regulations? He won't provide any thing in writing that supports his case.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are ASME standards which require annual inspection of cranes in accordance with their standards. Which standard depends on what type of crane it is you have.

Bumpjones,I would just like to say that I think you are right to be wary of the claim that you must have your crane proofed every time. Here in Canada such testing is not required unless the device is suspect (has had a known overload condition). As the manager of production for a major crane builder for several years I can count on one hand the amount of times we felt it necessary to have a crane proofed and generally this was at installation to allay any fears a customer may have about performance. My advice; make this vendor prove his point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back