Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a New Part By Mirroring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwarnke

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2008
US
Is there a way to mirror a piece and make it it's own seperate part? I need a right and left hand part which needs to be unlinked to each other and fully editable(has all the features just like the original) Is it possible?

Thanks,

Joel
Solidworks 2008 SP4.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, I think these guys may have pulled the trigger too soon. I don't think you can create a fully editable left-hand version that has its own independent fully editable feature tree. serspec may be closest, you would just have to do all your editing with the mirror and delete body features suppressed.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

You can use the "Insert, Mirror Part" command.

1. Click on the surface of the part you want to mirror about.
2. Click Insert, Mirror Part
3. In the "Insert Part" dialog, under "Link", select "Break link to original part"

This creates an unlinked mirrored part. You can edit all of the features in the mirrored part without affecting the original.

fortfan,

I have created mirrored S/M parts without a problem. You may then have to go in and create the S/M feature to turn it into S/M since you are creating a part that mirrors the original's geometry.

jwarnke,

If you want to create a left and right hand part then mirror is perfect for that. Changes to the original part will show up in the mirrored part. If you do not want this then you'll have to do something with configurations on the original part, i.e., mirror what is in common in one config then create another config for the finished RH part. Upon mirroring the common portion for the LH part then make your changes there.

- - -Updraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back