Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a design office for wooden furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamasnaelmehdi

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2011
DE
Hi everybody I’m a mechanical engineer, and I’m in charge of the creation of the design office for a new wooden furniture firm.
And I am wondering is there any steps to follow to succeed in this? All of your advises will be great 

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you clarify what you mean by 'creation of the design office'?

Do you mean the physical layout of the office or even the building itself (seems unlikely)?

Do you mean the organization structure of the staff?

Do you mean the policies and procedures etc.?

Are you talking infrastructure like computers, software, printers...?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

If they're anything like the wood furniture outfit I worked for, they assigned this job to the nearest warm body with drawings on his desk.

Thank you very much for your answers.
@KENAT
I'm talking about infrastructure like computers, software and every input output devises that you find interesting. in a second time after the infrastructure will be ready, I would like to know the organizational aspect of the stuff, and how should we perform to make manufacturing plans.
we have a designer who makes 2D drawings (manually) for the furniture we will make.
thanks in advance

@TheTick: LOL - we would always assign the task to 'the new guy' who hadn't had to deal with the joys of keeping everybody happy setting up an office layout in their career yet.

@OP: As corny as it sounds, we got the best results running a Kaizen event to map everything from the expected work flow to the number of fridges and microwaves needed in the breakroom. We made accomodations for specific employees that had disabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back