Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Creating a PDF with multipule layout sheets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinceNY

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2007
US
I'm using CutePDF Writer to convert to PDF format, I was wondering if there was a way to keep all the layout tabs that I plot in one file. Currently, if have to send someone a PDF, I have to send them a file of each layout tab. I have veiwed drawing pdf's like this before and I was wondering how it was done.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The full verison of Acrobat has this feature, and I think the onon-free versions of other PDF creator programs can do it as well.

You can do it without having to buy more software, or even use that free "cute pdf" driver. It's all ready built into AutoCad. (didn't you pay plenty for that all ready?)

1. create a page layout that utilizes the "DWG to PDF" plotter.

2. select all your tabs, (hold the shift key)

3. right click on the selected tabs and select "Publish."

4. In the publish dialog box, change the default plotter for each tab to your page setup that utilizes the "DWG to PDF" plotter.

5. You should end up with a single PDF file, named the same as the first layout, and that file defaults to c:\docs & settings\my documents.

5A. there is a button "publish options" that allows you to change where the plot-to-file is sent.

___
Craig T. Bailey, PE

I honestly do not remember. I havent used Acad 2004 since 2003.

There is only one way to find out though. :)

Here's something: check to see if the DWG to PDF "plotter" is available. If not, we can try loading the plotter driver from a newer release of ACAD.

craig

___
Craig T. Bailey, PE

I tried with autocad Lt 2006 and I think it has the publish facility. But it just plots separate PDF files to my documents from each tab layout. How do you get 1 file for multi tab layouts?

It would indeed be handy for e transmit and for archiving.

Thanks !!

IMHO there is a better mousetrap when it comes to multiple sheet files, and for archiving drawings:

DWF

AutoDesk came out with the DWF many years ago, in direct response to the explosion of PDFs.

The DWF allows multiple sheets, can include layer and block information, and the file sizes are typically a fraction of a PDF.

Sure, you have to have your clients download the free AutoDesk DWF Reader program, but the only need to download it once.

Check it out: you'll like the DWF.

___
Craig T. Bailey, PE

Many Thanks ctbailey its a neat little trick. Can this be used to print hard copies from a printing service? I normally use A1 sheets with about 10 drawings for the full project documentation.

Its great to be part of eng tips !

Cheers !

One other thing to try is to change the "publishcollate" setting (1 or 0) It may or may not help, depending on which version of Acad you have, (I don't think anything older than 07 or 07LT included native printing to pdf)

Thanks Craig, Ive been using DWF all week now and I do like it. Once again you can produce PDF files from it anyway at any time and DWF files are much smaller.

I like DWF

Cheers !

I suggest you invest in the software from these people You can pdf all dwg layouts into 1 single file and at any paper size. You don't even have to AutoCAD to convert the files. It has saved me thousands and thousands in man hours...I have just recently used it to convert 114 .dwgs into 1 single pdf file and it only took 15 minutes.

Cheers
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back