Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a "Solid" Appearing Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycon73

Mechanical
Jun 16, 2004
US
Hi,

Our vendor uses Adobe Illistrator & I am told that Illistrator accepts AutoCAD 2000 '.dxf' files fairly well - with distorting or blowing up the imported image. We don't have AutoCAD 2000 & our files are converted to '.dxf' from Unigraphics, Pro-E or Medusa.

When we create a "solid" appearing line, using our CAD programs, we have to use the Hatch feature. I need to create a "solid" appearing line without having hatch lines appear.

Does AutoCAD or any other CAD programs have the ability to create a "solid" line without using a Hatch feature?

Thanks

Jason Misztal
Power Tool CAD Designer
Marquardt Switches Inc.
Syracuse, NY

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In AutoCAD you could create a polyline and set it "width". I think this would give you what you want. Just to clarify, you want a line drawn in CAD the when brought into Adobe (or printed) with be continuos, solid, and measure 0.25" across (just a random number)?
I don't know about the other mentioned CAD programs.

Hi,

We create our designs or images using Unigraphics, Pro-E or Medusa & need to keep our images in one of these CAD files. On the CAD side, we need to control the length, width hight of a line only need a "solid" appearing line. In most cases, having hatch markings suffices for us.

As mentioned, our vendor imports these images from our '.dxf' or '.dwg' into Adobe Illistrator. It appears that Illistrator accepts AutoCAD 2000 '.dxf' imports well, without having a bunch of lines or images becoming distorted.

I would like to know if any CAD system, such as AutoCAD 2000 can crete a true 'solid' line & still be able to control the specs of the line. Once created, the image or file would then be converted to something that Illistrator can accept.

Thanks for the feedback

Jason Misztal
Power Tool CAD Designer
Marquardt Switches Inc.
Syracuse, NY

could you be a little more descriptive about the 'solid' line?
Let's compare it to paper and pens. Do you mean a continuous line as drawing with a light pencil, a heavy pen, or a big fat marker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back