Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Rhomboid Dodecahedron PAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiemannironworks

Mechanical
Nov 19, 2004
US
I need to create a rhomboid dodecahedron (12 equal sided spherical object). I created a sphere and used cutting planes on 72 degrees to generate the flat sides but somewhere one or more of my sides is not correct when auxiliary views are created in DFT mode. I cannot find the error int he PAR file, all of the planes look correct and check out dimensionally, but something is off somewhere. Is there an easier way to create this shape other than to so many cutting planes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you create a flat sheet metal, rhomboid-shaped tab. Then add bends at the right locations with the appropriate angle to assemble your sphere? Assuming that it doesn't need to be solid.

If it does, you may be able to take the sheet metal model - which should be an accurate mathematical representation - and use it as a construction body to cut the surfaces out of a solid sphere part.

--Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back