Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Riprap Check Dam

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRunyon11

Structural
Mar 16, 2002
US
I have a project with a simple detention pond. The outlet structure is a 12" pipe with a 6" orifice routed to the pipe, and then a 30 inch diameter inlet that routes to the pipe as well (the invert of the pipe and orifice is 840.29, and the invert of the inlet is 844.37). The problem is that I have to model a riprap check dam in order to meet stormwater quality measures. I was going to set the top of the weir at an elevation of 842. Is there any way to make Hydrocad analyze the flow of water over the weir before it enters the pipe (perform all of this in one pond), or do I need to set up 2 ponds, with the first one having the weir as the primary outlet, and then the second pond with the outlet configuration and the storage beginning at elevation 842?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What municipality are you in? I've heard lots of them asking for check dams in front of outlet control structures, but I've never heard of one wanting them incorporated into a hydrologic model.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back