Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a visible thread in CATIA 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamengo81

Aerospace
Aug 23, 2007
Please I have a novice question.
How to create a thread that is visible in CATIA?
I know about the thread/Tap option but that gives me a thread visible only in Drawing.
Is there any helpful tip or maybe tutoriall regarding this?

Greetings

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's a bit of work but, In GSD (generative shape design) Create a line, angle normal to curve, using an extremum point of the cylinder. Use the cylinder of the screw as the support. Create a position sketch at the extremum point representing you thread. In PD (part design) Slot the cylinder.

Regards,
Derek

Instead of modeling the actual thread as CATPart and Derek described, I've seen some people just add a surface around the threaded hole or shaft to symbolically represent the thread. Changing the graphic properties of this surface can make it look more like a thread.

Another method is to add a Leader Text pointing to the threaded area with the thread size called out.

I don't think you will see in aerospace industry visible threads in usual screws...imagine what will happens with the assemblies when you will try to load them...think of a whole section....

Regards
Fernando

He and the rest of the world is looking for some kind of feedback that there is a thread and how long the thread is. It doesn't need to be the exact thread, just a simplified rep, like pro e does. As far as I know, it doesn't exist.

that is what tap & tread analysis is for. It tells you what is threaded and its sizes. this achives the same end as a representation but does not cripple large assemblies with extranious data.

Create a sketch that you can revolve into a cylinder, e.g. in Z Axis, except when you create the vertical portion of the sketch do it as two lines instead of one.

When you revolve the profile the point where the two lines meet is 'dragged' around the face of the cylinder.

This can be used to simply represent the thread length.

Hope this meets your need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back