Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating and changing new part from Mirrored part

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEC2012

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2004
US
Is there a way to change a new part from a mirrored part. I want to change tap holes to thru holes and add new holes. I can not find a way to edit a new mirrored part and some people tell me this cant be done but I thought I would ask here. Thanks Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The mirrored part is "dumb" meaning that it does not have any Feature information as the parent part, but it is associative to the point if you change the parent part, the mirrored part will change.

If you need to add or remove Features in the mirrored part, you have to create new Features using Cuts, Extrudes, ext. So for those tapped holes, just add a new Cut-Extrude over them to make them thru holes.

Ray Reynolds
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

MadMango isn’t steering you wrong. Solidworks’ mirrored parts are ‘dumb’ solids, just like a STEP-in or Parasolid-in translation.

You cannot edit feature locations in any of the above, but should have no problem “filling them in” with an extrusion (have “Merge Result” on). That makes a seamless surface on which you can build the new features in the mirrored part.

Personally, I shy away from that because I like to control every single aspect of the mirror part with the Master Model (Parent part). This may seem complex, but after a few times it becomes second nature and does away with any editing of the dumb file.

If you’d like to try this, you can create an extra Configuration in the original Parent Part. This config contains the location and correct feature sizes that are unique to the Mirrored part. These unique features should be suppressed in all configurations except the new config.

If you’re doing this prior to creating your mirrored part, you’ll get the configuration name for free when you Insert/Mirror Part. If you’re doing this after-the-fact (with parts you already have), you can create the configuration in the mirrored part and synchronize it with the “List External Refs” dialogue box. The “Use Named Configuration” dropdown list tells SW which config to look at in the Original partfile when the current config is activated in the mirrored part.

I hope that made sense. It’s my first post and all. :)

"I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back