Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Creating block diagrams for systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MovingCharge

Electrical
May 18, 2014
Hello, I'm trying to select a schematic capture program.

1. Do most programs allow you to capture components in a system and draw the interconnects, so you can specify wire size and connectors, etc? Most programs I've seen are mainly for smaller assemblies such as PC boards.

2. Could anybody upload a screen capture or PDF so I can see what this kind of diagram looks like?

I'm currently considering CadSoft EAGLE, DipTrace, KiCad and gEDA to run on a Mac. Any comments on these programs would be welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you just want to document a system, you might want to consider a vector drawing package instead of a schematic capture tool. Schematic capture tools are typically big on simulation or PCB generation, but light on annotation/line size/style etc. On Windows I tend to use Visio or CorelDraw for most of my electrical block diagrams. If I need a few more electrical symbols I might use LTSpice (a schematic capture tool) but tend to be limited by its drawing capability. Only if I need simulation, PCB generation or 3D modelling would I move to PSIM or Altera.

On the Mac I'd be looking at OmniGraffle.

It looks like you are considering low-cost or no-cost block diagram solutions, so I might suggest the open-source program LibreOffice Draw or maybe Dia.

Glenn

It also doesn't sound like "schematic capture" is what you're after, but "wiring diagram" software, instead.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back