Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating contact surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinni1

Civil/Environmental
Sep 27, 2021
IE
Hello,

I am trying to define the contact interaction between the bolt-hole surface and the bolt shank.
The bolt-hole surface consists of three solid blocks. This is the master surface.

When I am selecting three surfaces together: Abaqus is giving me a message that the selected regions must be continuous. But I have placed all the solid blocks one after another and there is no gap between them.

Could anyone advise: on how I can select all three surfaces together to define the contact surface?

The picture of the model is attached herewith.
[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/raw/upload/v1666356907/tips/Contact_surface_nq64zv.docx[/url]

Many thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Isn't there an additional surface selected by accident ? Were those regions created using partitions ? Can you share the .cae file ?

For the future, it would be better to attach the images directly here, without pasting them to a Word document.

Hello,

The additional surface is not selected, it came into the image.

Please find the CAE file attached herewith.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

How do I attach the image directly to the post? I tried many times before: I use the image icon, but it always asks me to drag and drop the file.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1f9d8d9f-c242-47e9-ab7f-552c36c9678e&file=shearlapjoint-trial.cae
It will work if you select the faces belonging to only one instance for each defined surface. So in this case you should create 3 contact pairs. Of course, the Find Contact Pairs tool can do this for you if you increase its tolerance to 1.

Instead of dragging and dropping you can also press the Browse button there and select the file or click the "Click Here to upload your file to ENGINEERING.com" button at the bottom of the posting window and then select the file in a standard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back