Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating curves using data (radius, delta ect)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiminem2

Civil/Environmental
Oct 5, 2006
US
I create curves in plat drawings by drawing the chord bearing and distance of the curve. Then I draw two circles at each end point with the correct radius, then another at the intersenction of those two circles. and trim out the curve.

Seems other people are using another way to draw curves using maybe delta angle? how is another way to draw curves properly using either radius,length,bearing,chord distance, tangent, or delta angle? anyone know? If you have a way to create them using the delta angle please let me know!

thanks for any help!

jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm taking about a property line curve!
haha

you can't do arc: start-center-angle, for plats. you dont know what the middle point of the curves are on plats, it isn't listed in the curve data table...

Draw a temporary line the length of the radius at 90 degrees from the PC to find the center

You can draw a continuous line by using a polyline. Thats normally what I will use when drawing a center line. That way you can specify the length and the radius. However in specifying the radius you must know where the arc is to end at (ie. 357000,25773.02) Pretty much just type "pl" no quotes though in the command line it will start off to draw a line for you in order to do an arc just type 'a' after typing in pl. and then follow the command line on specifying a radius. Autocad Civil 3d has many different ways of doing this.

jiminem2-I have tried to follow your directions, however, they do not make sense such "chord bearing and the distance of the curve"; by definition, a bearing has a length and a direction, so where does "the distance of tthe curve" comes into play--confusing n'est pas?; send a drawing showing all the lines before you start trimming and we may be able to help you out.

Jiminem2,
I understand what you are saying. I used to use the same method years ago using COGO 300 when taking raw survey data and inputting into cadd. I thought of a couple of things you could try depending on the accuracy.

1. Do you have the radius point of the arc you are drawing? I am assuming not, and that is why you are using the chord and two circles to establish the radius point.

2 You could use the Circle Tangent Tangent Radius command and select both lines that the arc will be tangent to, and then give the radius. Then just trim your circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back