Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

creating datum planes on th fly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sansvk

Aerospace
May 22, 2003
Can anyone help me out with creating datum planes on the fly so that I could use them during patterning.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A datum on the fly is that one created while creating a new feature in a part, or adding a new component to an assembly, using the option "Make datum", instead of selecting an axisting one. The most used options for creating the datum on the fly are "Offset" and "Angle" so when you pattern a feature, or component, you'll be able to click on the dimension used to create the datum on the fly, and choose your increment.
Happy patterning [thumbsup2]

im4cad
Pro Design Services, Inc.

I disagree. You can still create datums on the fly in wildfire, just click on the datum tool button when you need a datum on the fly. It creates the datum and after you are finished with your command, it creates an "autogroup".

Not exactly the same functionality as before. I've found groups are cumbersome to work with and don't know why PTC needlessly complicated this functionality. Hopefully, we'll see the old method return in later releases.

I find the Auto-Group to be beneficial in that you can now see the on-the-fly datums and all related features are in the group.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

In previous releases, Pro/E isn't able to make a group containing groups. Is this the same case with the Auto-groups in Wildfire?
If so, any feature created with the new datum-on-the-fly method can't be gouped.

In previous releases, Pro/E isn't able to make a group containing groups. Is this the same case with the Auto-groups in Wildfire?
If so, any feature created with the new datum-on-the-fly method can't be grouped.

MGMT8,

You are absolutely correct. After the auto_group is created you can not group it with other features. This is terrible news. You need to ungroup the "on the fly" features before they can be grouped....a real disappointment.

I cannot believe that on-the-fly datum planes are a thing of the past. Why the hell would I want to see the on-the-fly datum plane in my model? The whole point of using on-the-fly datum planes, in my case, was to keep my model from looking like a ball of yarn (that is what some of my colleagues models look like after creating too many datum planes in all directions throughout the part/assembly).
If I need a datum plane for a feature and I will never need to reference that plane again - I do not care to see the plane after the feature is created.
The on-the-fly datum planes, in the models I have created, is only necessary due to the dimension scheme required in the drawing (design intent).
I will have to download a copy of Wildfire and check this out for myself. If the on-the-fly datum plane functionality is gone then that is one more con on my list for Pro/E Wildfire.

I tried the Pro/E Wildfire and I am not comfortable with the way the on-the-fly datums are handled, but I guess I can make the transition?
You can still create a datum on-the-fly, but the datum is placed in an auto_group with the feature and the datum plane is hidden. The one thing that I see as a problem with this functionality is when a novice user ungroups the on-the-fly datum and makes the datum visible. Then the novice users decides to drag and drop the feature to a different location. I know that the datum will follow, but what a mess!
...the more intelligent the software the less intelligent the user. Basically, as the software becomes easier to use the chances for errors and BIG problems increases tremendously when the user lacks experience or knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back