Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Creating documentation for control cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAndres

Electrical
Mar 1, 2019
US
I'm working on a project which will require a custom control cabinet. Power supplies, disconnects, fuses, several assorted controllers, etc... I've seen and used documentation for this kind of cabinet in the past, but haven't had to build and document to date. Sadly, I don't have access to the documentation I'm referring to, as it stays with the device. I'm usually more on the schematic/pcb end of things than wiring harnesses and this kind of layout. One important difference is that this documentation needs to accessible without a computer, i.e. looking at a printout while standing in front of the cabinet. I'm not sure if there's a standard for handling page jumps of connections and things along those lines. Again, I'm more used to software handling connectivity of a net for me, than in detailing each physical conductor. Is there a resource on this sort of documentation you can point me to? Is there software which does a good job of capturing this type of detail? A listing of common symbols would be helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are using something like AutoCAD then then available resources are almost limitless. You can usually download object templates from the manufacturers' websites. The standards you refer to are available with AutoCAD Electrical. That package isn't cheap however, so if you're just designing one panel and don't want to make that expenditure, then I'd say you will have a lot of footwork to do. You can, of course, print out the documentation for locating at the equipment once it's complete.
You first need to determine any kind of area classification and approvals like UL that are required for the area you're in before you select a panel or any equipment. If UL listing is required, then you'll likely have to solicit other sources for assitance.

Brad Waybright

It's all okay as long as it's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back