Creep and fatigue properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

schopenhauer

Marine/Ocean
Mar 17, 2018
GB
Hi guys,

Does anybody know a good source of creep and fatigue properties for carbon and glass composites? Preferably, at ply level, at different orientations and stress ratios.

I've only been able to found information in some papers, but very dispersed and not of much engineering value.

Many thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a bunch of fiberglass composite fatigue data available thru Sandia National Labs under wind energy dept (wind turbine blades). Go to their site and search around to find the database. Not much non proprietary data available for carbon fiber composites.

Thanks for your reply, very good piece of information. I also found a European database: "Fatigue of materials and components for wind turbine rotor blades", edited by C. W. Kensche (fewer samples but a more in-depth analysis).

Still looking for something related to creep.

Many thanks!

Looking at the data in depth, there is some information in the "Misc. Tests" tab (stress rupture tests).

It is difficult to complain about something that is free and public, but there is so much scatter in the data! I was hoping to be able to deduce some basic power-law function, but some data points are just weird.

I was also surprised by the creep effect in glass fibres. For a six plies 0 laminate, static strength is 518 MPa, and under 374 MPa (72%) the laminate creeps in 20394 s!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any information on strain recovery, I'll keep digging...

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back