Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Creo 4/5 GD&T updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

geesamand

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2006
US
My team did limited testing in making the jump from Creo 3 to 5. The new GD&T behavior caught us by surprise.

Technically we are not having issues and don't benefit from migrating all of our annotations every time we open and tweak a drawing. So the GD&T warnings and errors are costing us time and money.

I'm curious how others have handled this transition.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's news to me, I had watched one demo but didn't pick up on any change to GD&T. Can you enlighten me further?

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

My high level understanding is that unless you're viewing the drawing exactly as-is, we are required to update all GD&T symbology to a more recent ASME Y14.5. Datums that are called out as [-A-] (in a rectangular box) now have to be a datum target with a filled triangle attaching it to geometry. Also some GD&T FCFs may need to change.

On some level I think this is driving practices that support model-based definitions. My company is nowhere near adopting that practice, and I'm aware of no company that can adopt it across the board. The software seems to be requiring this though.

Thanks. We have always used the filled triangle datums so that won't affect us. We also use ISO standards so hopefully the Y14.5 updates won't affect us either. I hate it when standards change, it's rarely for the better and usually just causes wide spread confusion. They should make it so you can set the standard revision you are using through configs. Many companies don't update to a new revision for years.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

The standard used for designing parts should be like setting the proper style for writing articles in Word.
Even Word only has the latest edition listed in the Style pull-down.

I am thinking back that Wildfire had different tolerancing options, but it may have only been ASME vs ISO.
I do know that it will be a few releases before Creo supports ASME Y14.5-2018.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

The -A- style datum feature symbol changed back in the '82 version of the spec I believe. I don't believe it's MBD that's driving the update, it's the spec which has been updated to the triangular suction cup symbol ~30 years ago?

I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat... I'm a vegetarian because I HATE PLANTS!!

I do understand the old style datums are old. When used improperly, they cause problems. When used properly it's a non-issue. I have yet to deal with a vendor or QC issue where GD&T style has even entered into the question.

We use hundreds of older drawings on a regular basis and it is costly to migrate the GD&T just because the software thinks I should. I'm sure other customers do too.

I need to know the options. We are in our busiest season and getting bogged down in mouse clicks is costly.

We have a note in our titleblock that states: INTERPRET DIMENSIONS AND TOLERANCE PER ASME Y14.5-2009
This way anyone can see what standard was used in preparing the drawing.
We recently changed it from ASME Y14.5M-1994.

The triangle base datum was new in the 1994 spec.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

In Creo 4 you can use the old style datum feature symbol without much of an issue.

The option is in the 'Datum Feature' tab in the ribbon, accessed after clicking on a placed datum feature symbol. Under the 'Display' section, there's a dropdown menu and a checkbox option for "Display per ASME Y14.5m-1982" - Is that option not available in Creo 5?

I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat... I'm a vegetarian because I HATE PLANTS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back