Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Creo 4 crashes when opening a part

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorst

Jan 31, 2017
SE
Hi,

I am getting a little frustrated with how Creo 4 behaves right now, especially after the below issue, so I hope one of you has a solution.

Now I have a part that I saved last week after adding a fillet feature that had many lines/fillets in it and Creo gave me a traceback error and crashed.
The part did save though and when opening, Creo did a forced regen and crashed again, likely because of the same reason - the big fillet feature.
I deleted the last save, before the feature existed, could open it again, and started over again from there.

Today I added a new fillet feature.
This time I could save without problems after adding the features and I continued working for 2 hours after this feature and kept saving without issues.
After adding a simple extrude Creo suddenly decided to crash anyway and now I can't open it again because Creo keeps crashing.
It is really frustrating as I don't want to redo everything I have done just because Creo is badly built/behaving and because it is a lot of work to redo as well.

I added a zip file with the traceback and error output files when trying to open the part as well as the forced regen message Creo is giving in the message box.

So, what I want to know/try is:
1. Is there a way to stop Creo from force regenerating when opening a part so I can first suppress the feature that I know is causing the issue?
2. I requested a Creo 7 trial to see if the issue is solved in a newer version.

Any tips are welcome.

/Sidney

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f1513efd-88da-4809-a808-d1a029746d14&file=traceback.log
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all what version of Creo 4, commercial or student?
Second question is what is your build of Creo 4? For commercial, the latest is M130.

Since the data structure of Creo is hierarchical, it has to rebuild the file every time it is opened.
You can do somethings, like saving a snapshot, but that adds overhead.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

The traceback log file is only good for PTC as very few people outside of their support group have the knowledge or tools to decode it.
Can you upload the file itself?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Creo does not have to regen parts on reopening if they are saved with geometry. I forget the config option but there are several for both models and drawings that greatly speed up retrieval at the expense of file size.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Thanks both for trying to help me out.
In the end it happened again today and the Round feature was not even there this time.
Turns out there were 2 extrudes that used to remove material but after part updates didn't touch anything anymore.
Somehow this was enough for Creo to not understand the part and force regenerating due to invalid geometry.
Anyway by stepping through the tree and cleaning up every warning, the part is opening much faster and without errors.

I find it weird that such a simple thing lets Creo crash, but I guess it is what it is.

If you do open sketches and align ends to existing geometry that "goes away" then it's bound to fail. I almost always do closed sketches for this reason. Also, try to only reference early datums and primary features, more robust. Wildfire used to force users to fix any problems immediately. In an attempt to be more saladworks like, Creo tries to carry on until all hell breaks loose.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back