CREO 9 default configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkakth

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2015
SE
Hello dear colleagues

does anyone knows where lies the default configuration file (the one which loads into each session by default) ?

...my goal is to setup some settings which load "by default" (without anytime load them explicitly) everytime i start the program

thanks in advance and kind regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As I recall, the software looks at the installation folder, then it looks at the user home folder, and then it looks at the active folder it was started in (in the icon properties.)

Also of note is the majority of the defaults are what are built into the software and are not part of any configuration file.

See
This may also help with other config options:

particularly the reply from
MarcMettes.

IIRC (and it may have changed in Creo 9, I don't try to keep up any more), there are no default system config.pro or config.sup files. You have to create them yourself, otherwise the software just uses all the default settings that are built in. They are simple text files and you can create and edit them with any text editor. You can go through the PTC interface which makes it easier to find all the variables but once you know what you are doing it's far easier to just use a text editor.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

As previously stated, there are 4 configuration files that can be loaded at Creo startup.
1) <Creo Loadpoint>\Common Files\Text\config.sup
2) <Creo Loadpoint>\Common Files\Text\config.pro
3) <User's Home folder>/config.pro
4) <Start In folder defined by the shortcut>/config.pro

Settings in config.sup cannot be changed by a subsequent setting in a config.pro file.
The last setting loaded becomes the default for your Creo session.

You can download a list of ALL config.pro settings from PTC's website. It is a large list, over 1700 configuration options!

There are also hidden configuration settings that PTC may have you set to test or debug an issue. These are not in the files you can download from PTC.com and if you use one, you have to enter the option name and setting manually. Olag Corten has a website, creosite.com, that does have downloadable configuration setting text files that lists a lot of the hidden configuration settings.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Further information for Creo 9+.
PTC has introduced alternative locations for the configuration files that can be accessed by means of environment variables.

From PTC's website and CS384810:
Starting from Creo Parametric 9.0.2.0, Creo Parametric users can set the environment variable PTC_CREO_ALT_SETTINGS_PATH to point to an alternative path where you store your configuration files.
PTC_CREO_ALT_SETTINGS_PATH path takes precedence over all the other paths, and overrides all other config.pro and config.sup settings.
The final value considered by creo for a configuration options would be the value specified in the configuration files present in the path set by PTC_CREO_ALT_SETTINGS_PATH.

That last point is what I do not like about this new setting. It would override a user config.pro setting from their start-in or home folder. I think the order order should be:
Files in the loadpoint text directory
Files in the ALT settings directory
Files in the home directory
Files in the Strat-In directory.

Ben Loosli

Setting up the config.sup and config.pro in the installation folder is harder than it sounds since windows generally blocks even power users from modifying the files in those folders.

If you need these settings to be enforced (users not permitted to work around them) you'll probably need to work with your IT team to push down those files using an admin-level script whenever you need to change the setup.

If you have a small group and the settings are neither essential nor controversial, you can have each user keep a config.pro in their user folder.

I use a single location for the installation and all users point to the same folder for the code. Only 1 location to maintain for all users. I do have admin privileges for the installation location on the shared drive.
Upgrades are easy, we use a script to launch Creo, so I just have to change it to point to the new version location. I can add a new version for testing by adding a line or 2 to the script. The users create a shortcut to the script so any changes to it are seen the next time the execute the script.

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back