Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creo cannot access hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

treddie

Computer
Dec 17, 2005
US
This is very strange. A new one I have never seen with any program. Creo 3 can see all the computer's drives and can access them all...except one. The D:\ drive. It recognizes that it is there, but when I try to access it, it thinks it is empty and the folder/file list is blank. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Creo, to no avail. Reboots do not solve the problem. Could an environmental variable be the culprit?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried text files? You can open them with the config options editor.

Typically the only files/directories PTC Parametric doesn't see are ones with spaces and capitalized letters.

Text files no go. To Creo, D:\ looks like a newly formatted drive with nothing on it yet. Creo 2 and all other programs see the contents just fine. F'ing weird.

Damn...Frustrating that you can't edit posts here. I meant to say:

"Text files no go. To Creo THREE, D:\ looks like a newly formatted drive with nothing on it yet. Creo 2 and all other programs see the contents just fine. F'ing weird."

Playing with this further, I discovered that if I went to the recent files list in Creo 3 (which apparently comes from a common file to all Creo products and versions), I can open a file on d:\ that way (My recent files list only contains old Creo 2 part files). But if I try to save it back to d:\, I get:
"Error writing file. Check disk space or write permission."

I have plenty of disk space and the permissions have not changed, and are identical to those of my f:\ drive which Creo sees just fine.

The only differences between these two drives are:
1. Drive d:\ is a logical partition on a physical drive that also contains my primary c:\ partition.
2. Drive f:\ is the only partition on a separate physical drive.
3. Drive d:\ is over 1TB in size. c:\ and f:\ are easily under 1Tb.

And one other curious tidbit.

I found that if I change my working directory in Creo 3 to some folder on d:\, that all works fine...So long as I do not go up the directories back to root d:\. I can open and save anything fine on d:\ so long as I do not try to access the root directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back