Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Creo Imports

Status
Not open for further replies.

looslib

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2001
US
We are working on a project with another company that will require sharing files. We will be using Creo 4.0 for our work, but they use Solidworks 2018.
Creo can import a Solidworks file directly with out going to STEP first.
Can Solidworks import a native Creo part or assembly file? If so, what version of Creo files can SW2108 import?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They can through 3D interconnect but from what I have seen it's not very easy to work on native imported files. Especially if there are assemblies. (my experience is with NX files and it was pointless. They just sent over Parasolid files instead) If you are expecting them to work on your files and send them back to you in CREO format, you are probably going to have a few problems. I would recommend just sending over Parasolid files, not STEP files. Almost always STEP files fail when coming from CREO to Solidworks. I have a file right now that is from CREO and it's a complete surface nightmare. It has over 3000 surfaces and its unrepairable. Also, SW runs like crap under that many surfaces. SW really needs solid data to work with and Parasolid is a far better translation. Especially when you have two CAD software companies that use the same kernel.

Supported imported versions for 2018:
Import-export_version_2018_yvgk1g.jpg

3D Interconnect supported versions in 2018:
3d_inter-2018_s2mzvu.jpg

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.