Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creo is out whats next??

Status
Not open for further replies.

colt4522

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2010
US
PTC just released CREO A new type of system for 3d modeling and interaction system for design and engineers.

What are your thoughts on this program, how do you think this program can help us cad users and engineers

take a look at the program and webcast

and blog
Colton, CSWA
Solidworks 2009/10
Pro/E wildfire 5.0
PDM Enterprise 2009
Dell Precision T7400

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Same software as WF5, just a new name and marketing.

If you can't win customers by having an innovative product, try innovative marketing.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

the least they could do is make the software more user friendly. but it is hard to tell what creo will bring to the table with the direct modeling. will it make it better or just more of a pain in the butt like pro/e already is

Colton, CSWA
Solidworks 2009/10
Pro/E wildfire 5.0
PDM Enterprise 2009
Dell Precision T7400

Hopefully, the pricing of the apps will be like iPhone and Android apps, $2.99 is an expensive app!
OK, maybe in the case of Creo, that will be $299, but could even be $2999.

As long as my new license file gives me the same functionality WITHOUT an increase in maintenance billing, I will be ok. If PTC starts changing the makeup of the bundles and raising prices plus back charges for the new functionality, then that will be a hard sell.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Given their marketing lingo where PTC said the .0 in the version name and called it WildFire 5.0 instead of just 5.

I'd say CreO 1.1.0 is next

Pronounced
"CreO One point One point Zero"

Similar to the service pack used for SolidWorks SP#.0 or Release used for Catia V5 R17.

Michael

While I think the marketing is a bunch of foolishness I have to say that I love Pro/E MUCH more then Solidquirks. It seems there are several in this thread that have difficulties with Pro/E but there are also those like myself that find Solidworks both harder to use as well as far less capable.

Since I have started using SW 2 months ago I have developed a very long list of short comings of Solidworks that is legitimate (not just complaints). Of course I am no expert in SW (and have 14+ years of use in Pro/E) but there are pretty simple things that SW just can't do that are absurd...basically reducing it to a designer tool in many ways rather then an engineering tool. I hate equations and relations in SW compared to Pro/E...ok I will stop now...the list is to long for this thread.

Creo is an odd name and I hope PTC does keep up with good software rather then marketing hype (Solidworks has the corner on the hype already).

"Everyone knows the Pro-Engineer name... Why mess with it? spend the money fixing and improving the program instead of all this marketing BS. David"

That's precisely the problem. Market research has suggested it takes a full generation for a brand name to redeem itself in the eyes of the general consumer... so, rather than make a better product, change the name and market strategy.

... so many things I wish were better about ProE. So many things I think could be perfect if they were supported by a better, more intuitive and user friendly platform.

I overall really like Pro/E or Creo or whatever you want to call it, but I agree that they have some issues they need to fix. A lot of the issues seem to be easy fixes, but for some reason PTC never seems to take care of them. I also don't like when the update half the features of the program, and leave the rest behind, so some operations use a modern menu while others have menus going back to early versions.

Actually, CREO is not out yet. Only the rebranded artists formally known as Pro/E WF5, CoCreate and ProductView are out. No actual change in software or functionality. So far the release date on the actual CREO amorphous blob is just listed as Summer 2011.

dgallup is correct Enginerd,
The version you have is a re-branded version of WF5. It is the same build as WF5 but the title bar says CREO and you licence says CREO Pro/Elements. The actual revised software package doesn't come until this summer at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back