Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

crimping issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The usual cause of crimping failure is using the wrong crimping tool or poor setup or use. I've seen users get 50 out of 50 crimps damaged - then someone reads the directions that come with the tool and it's 100 out of 100 perfect, same technician.

You have two different connectors that are performing differently in the same tool and you withhold information about the two different sources of the connectors? Why do you want to use the one that is performing poorly? Is it cheaper?

my bad - when i said a different hole size, i meant the side hole - please see photo.
Otherwise they are quite identical.

We tested them with the same crimping tool. For the bad pins, we even sized the setting to get it right but no luck.

I just wanted to know how it make the crimping quality so different although the size is very similar.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3caacc04-44af-4568-884e-eea6c7800daa&file=Capture.PNG
Different size, wrong tool.
"different although the size is very similar."
"they are quite identical"
Very similar is not identical.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Assuming all else equal, then there's something different in the material or its properties. Your 2nd pin looks like it has a different surface finish, so it could be a different material, or its hardness is drastically different; it looks to me like the 2nd pin's material is substantially softer, since it "flowed" outward and there's little evidence that the tube is actually being crimped like the 1st one.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back