Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Crimping tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

patm72

Electrical
Sep 2, 2004
CA
When it comes to crimping open type contacts and ferrules, is the shape of the tool critical?
I see that TE, Altiv, Cinch and other manufacturers have these contacts and seemingly an associated crimping tool. Sometimes, those tools are extremely expensive, making their purchase prohibitive for someone like me who needs about 30 connections made.
On the other hand, I have a hard time finding a contractor/panel builder with the same exact tool as prescribed by the manufacturers.
Is it fair to say a more generic tool can do the job for crimping most contacts reliably, at least for a test? I would have probably a better chance at finding one of them (AMP tools for example).
As long as the dimensions fit would it work?
Does anyone have some insight on this very specific issue? The connector types and tools are in the attachment.

Thank you.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ee982f33-84b3-4703-a879-c1a612f1f9d4&file=Tools_needed.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In general, any crimping tool irrespective of the price and whether the crimping action (as pinching spot, hexagonal crimp etc.) shape are secondary. The most important is to follow the tool manufacture's operation instruction:
a) with the proper/correct pairing tool and die for the (lug+cable) size. The brand of the lug is immaterial. Do NOT mix the tool with die from different manufacturers or the use of bigger lug with smaller conductor size.
b) irrespective of whether manual/hydraulic operated, ensure that the tool and die are FULLY homed in; before the crimp can be release. Attention: some bad design/cheap tools do not have this feature built in.
c) pay particular attention on the crimping instruction by the OEM when crimping lug on aluminium cables. Attention: some may need addition crimps.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back