Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CRN Renewals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geof

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2001
US
My company has current registration for our products (pipeline fittings - strainers, check valves).
Looking ahead, they expire next year. I'm trying to find a listing for renewals, but all I can find on the various Province sites is for new fitting registrations.

Is anyone familiar with the renewal process? Or is every application treated as if new?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to our experience the CRN for fittings expires after 10 years. There is no renewal process and a completely new approval is required. You may request to use the same CRN but there is no assurance that it will be granted.

Thanks,

I'll have to go back through our paperwork from the application process in 2009 and start getting ready for the 2019 application.

Cheers.

Geof,
weeeds had directed you in the right direction. but remember, the expiry is 10 years after approval date of the registration in the first province and NOT 10 years after approval in the last province.

Ganga D. Deka, P. Eng
Canada

Thank you Ganga,

Our earliest CRN registration date is 2/1/09. Given the time period required for review, would you think applying in July or August would provide sufficient time to avoid a lapse?

Geof.

Hi Geof,

Is your strainers and check valves bodies are fabricated by welding from steel, or they are made from cast steel? What are ASME material specification?

Thanks,
Curtis

David339933,

I wouldn't be so optimistic. In British Columbia, right now turnaround for regular CRN application is 6-8 weeks. You can request expedited service for x2 or x3 fee. Not all jurisdictions have expedited service option though.

I didn't ask question about valve and strainer bodies material for curiosity. If your strainers and valve are made from listed material and to listed ASME specification, in some Canadian jurisdictions you do not need CRN for those items. They may be exempt from CRN. You need to check this from each jurisdiction.

Thanks,
Curtis

Curtis,

I did some research and yes, you're right: Saskatchewan, B.C., and Manitoba would exempt our check valves (ASME B16.34 & API-598).

However, we have approval in these provinces - for sales, it's a lot easier to have a CRN on file than to explain "no, we don't need it, and here's why..." followed by a discussion, emails, etc. And then in the end, if the customer specification states "CRN required", that trumps any argument. It looks like the first approval of our check valves was, in fact, Saskatchewan at a customer request.

Looking through the files, this was a long process - 2009 when numbers were first issued, 2011 by time they had all provinces. I think we may begin working on it soon. I emailed ACI Central (and Alberta, but no response), regarding renewals - it's the same as a new application. And if we want the same CRN Number to be issued, we'll have to apply to the original province of first approval who issued the CRN, then work through the other provinces after it is re-secured. Otherwise, we'll end up with new numbers. It may not be that important - I was just thinking that consistency is good.

Geof.

Curtis,

I did some research and yes, you're right: Saskatchewan, B.C., and Manitoba would exempt our check valves (ASME B16.34 & API-598).

However, we have approval in these provinces - for sales, it's a lot easier to have a CRN on file than to explain "no, we don't need it, and here's why..." followed by a discussion, emails, etc. And then in the end, if the customer specification states "CRN required", that trumps any argument. It looks like the first approval of our check valves was, in fact, Saskatchewan at a customer request.

Looking through the files, this was a long process - 2009 when numbers were first issued, 2011 by time they had all provinces. I think we may begin working on it soon. I emailed ACI Central (and Alberta, but no response), regarding renewals - it's the same as a new application. And if we want the same CRN Number to be issued, we'll have to apply to the original province of first approval who issued the CRN, then work through the other provinces after it is re-secured. Otherwise, we'll end up with new numbers. It may not be that important - I was just thinking that consistency is good.

Geof.

Geof,

I heard that Quebec also wanted to join to the group to exempt fittings, flanges, valves made to ASME listed standards. I'm not sure what is situation.

I my opinion, CSA B51 committee should consider exemption of standard flanges, valves, and fittings which are built to ASME listed standards. There is no point in having registered, for example, a standard B16.5 flange. In fact, every manufacturer who wants to sell them in Canada should have CRN, if its not exempt from registration by provincial authority.

Thanks,
Curtis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back