Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crossing industries to Oil and Gas etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

coanda3484

Aerospace
Jun 22, 2009
GB
Hi Guys,

This is my first post here - but have been browsing various sub-forums here for a while.

I am an aerospace structures (stress) engineer at present. I've been doing that for nearly 5 years now, and contracting for about 18 months here in the UK, for various companies around Bristol.

I'm of the opinion that I'd like a change in industry and quite like the idea of working in the oil and gas industry.

I'm here to ask:

1. Is this possible?
2. Where might I best be applying my skills? pipe design?
3. Can anyone recommend any text books for an overview?
4. Can anyone in the UK recommend any agencies etc I might want to speak to?
5. What are the best and worst aspects of your job?

All help and comments will be really appreciated.

Mods - if this is in the wrong places please let me know and I'll move it.

Many thanks guys!

Coanda

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm assuming you want to get into round beams .. piping .. rather than I-beams and structures, in the sense of civil work.

With a stress background you should probably choose between piping stress (refinery / petrochem / power / offshore) and subsea or onshore pipelines. Piping and pipelines are related but require differing special knowledge. There is probably less scope in pipelines, but arguably better rates in some cases. If you are really new to the industry, you have little chance of a contract / agency job at the moment. Think about a staff position with the likes of KBR, Amec, Foster Wheeler or CB&I John Brown. You might also consider the oil producer companies. ExxonMobil (Fawley)and Conocophillips (Immingham) have been advertising recently. Get some real experience behind you then move on.

There are many relevant books, some quite old, some recently on the market. Google or Amazon to find them.

Best aspects of the job ... er, um ....
Worst aspects ... another bloody revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back