Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cryogenic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffeeman2014

Petroleum
Jan 16, 2014
US
Hi everyone :
Hope you all are doing great !
I have a cement block that I have drill it in the center and I want to make cracks in this block by using a cryogenic fluid (LN2 or liquid CO2) .. anyway, my question is (( What's the differences between cooling a block from the center to outer boundary and vise versa ?))

Thanks and I really appreciate your time

NBQ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Compositepro
Thanks for your reply. I don't want to drill through the concrete by using the cold fluid (I already have the block drilled) , I just want to do a crack in the surface of the concrete. But I am planning to set some lab work for this. However, I am asking if the temperature gradient will be different if am going to apply the cold fluid in the center of the block (inside the well) that if I apply the cold fluid in the outer surface of the block (I will immerse it in a cold fluid container) ?

I would heat the periphery of the hole, real hot that is but not to the point of spalling the concrete surface, then apply the cold fluid in the well, that should crack it. You may have to experiment on few blocks first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back