Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cryogenics

Status
Not open for further replies.

pisc2bn

Military
Jul 31, 2008
US
Greetings all,

I am currently in the military and I am a cryogenics technician. I plan on getting out in 2011, I would like to know, if anyone knows, what opportunities are there in the civilian sector for cryogenics? I have been in the military since 1998 and I think I have just about had all I can take. I have a family, and I enjoy the better things in life. The general idea from my peers is, there are a lot of jobs that pay a lot of money for the things I do. Except, I cant find anything, anywhere, that deals with cryogenics. I want to get a head start on this so I am completely prepared (initative thanks to the Marines, ha ha). Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Sergeant D.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try looking at the big gas companies (liquid air plants, not natural gas, i.e. the ones that bottle oxygen, argon, CO2, etc.). They produce these gases using cyro distillation, among other processes. Airco is one. If those are a miss, try looking at who their big customers are.

Many semiconductor fabrication shops use some liquid nitrogen and other liquid gases in their shops.

Rocket engine/ propulsion companies (Rocketdyne, Pratt & Whitney, TRW, Aerojet), NASA.

Good luck.

I am interested and adept enough to be an engineer, I just do not have the education under my belt just yet. I have about 60 or so credits and I want to find a path that will lead me to success. Location is not an issue. I am willing to relocate anywhere, to any country if the opportunity is there. I appreciate all the guidance from everyone, it is very helpful. As of right now I am a mechanic. I work with LOX and LIN generating plants and aviators breathing systems. I want to know what I need to study that would be marketable to employers in the civilian sector.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your guidance!

Sergeant D.

There are a number test labs dealing with cryogenics. Check places like Wylie Laboratories and Orion Propulsion. Also, NASA has several cryogenic test facilities (Marshall Space Center for one). I am sure there are many opportunities at places like these for a tech with your background. And they work on some pretty neat stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back