Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSA Z662 and ASME B31.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdp6632

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2009
CA
I have an on lease pipeline for natural gas already up and running. Its a buried 16" line about 4 Km long. As it is on-lease so it does not require AER registration but it does need to be registered with ABSA as this is to be considered a process piping. The issue is that my pipeline is designed and constructed and tested as per CSA Z662 while ABSA only recognises ASME B31.3. As the line is already up and running we need to request a variance from ABSA to accept 662 as design code.

I know there are some basic differences between both the codes e.g. wall thickness calcs, allowable stress, welding procedures, hydro test pressure and duration etc. I checked CSA material is accepted in ASME B31.3 as well, so we are good for material. Can you please suggest me a page or link where I can find out all the major areas of difference between both the codes. Or if you know some at the top of your head, give me a clue and I will dig into those sections. The intention is to let ABSA understand that CSA Z662 is as safe a standard as ASME B31.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back