Status
Not open for further replies.

evolDiesel

Mechanical
Feb 29, 2008
US
thread559-178434

Hey guys,

I stumbled on the old thread above, noticed it was from 3 years ago so I wanted to bump and update as I just took the CSWP. I would suggest reading this if you are interested in the CSWP and haven't attempted it yet.

I've attached the CSWP practice exam, created by SolidWorks. There are some important things to know about this practice exam and its relationship to the real exam.

The real exam is broken out into 3 segments:

CSWP -
1. Part modeling (90min)
2. Configs (40min)
3. Assemblies (80min)

Tip 1 - Practice Exam only covers part modeling:
The practice exam only covers segment 1. Yes, that's it. It's doesn't touch segment 2 or 3.

Tip 2 - Practice Exam is short:
The practice exam is [at best] 2/3 the size of the real segment 1. The real segment 1 is 90 minutes. If you're doing the math you've realized that you will be wasting your money unless you can rip through the practice exam in 60 minutes.

Tip 3 - Mass properties:
You will be tested on data found in the mass properties. It's important to be very familiar with accessing mass properties and interpreting them. The test is clever. Usually the first question is multiple choice and it's exactly what the answer is. So, you should not answer future questions until you have the exact answer of the first question. If you don't have the exact answer of the first question - you will most likely fail the following questions. This is crucial as there is no "partial credit" and the exam itself is a coarse one, with few questions and little room for error.

Tip 4 - It's an exam:
It's a real exam. It is timed. And there is no partial credit. You have to be precise in your work and entering you answers. You should scan through all the questions immediately and determine how much time you have to spend on each one. Look at the summary. Determine the point value of each question. Realize that you must get 75% or higher to pass. When I took the CSWP I want to say segment 1 only had 6 questions. You can get away with one wrong answer, but you won't get away with 2. In other words - you should also consider the precision of your answers when you took the practice exam. Were you perfect? Why not? Figure it out and correct the mistake before taking the real exam – you’ll be glad you did.

Tip 5 - You failed despite all my awesome tips:
The real exam runs on a client. The client is well built. You can take each of the 3 segments independently and in any order you want. Each costs $33 for a total of $99. If you fail a segment you can re purchase it for $33 and retake that segment no more than 14 days following the failure. During those 14 days you can take the other segments.

Tip 6 - Purchasing:
You can get a free test from you VAR, SW World (I think), events and user groups sometimes have codes, and you can even dig around online and find some free coupons. In other words - money shouldn't be the hold up. Besides... even if you do have to shell out the cash it's only $99 - assuming you pass all 3 segments on your first attempt.

Here's how my CSWP went:
Segments 1 - Failed: Got 2 wrong.
Segment 2 - Passed: Got 1 wrong which was 87%.. one away from failing!
Segment 3 - Passed: 100% & finished with 10 minutes remaining.

Segment 1 really got me. I didn't time myself on the practice exam and I'm sure my leisurely pace killed me on the real thing. Especially when I saw the actual segment 1 was built like 2 practice exams. I was scrambling, which made me sloppy, and with the margin of error as tight as shown above, I didn't stand a chance. After I failed segment 1, I assessed the remaining 2 segments, read up on the content I wasn't familiar with (collision detection, creating origins) and banged them out while waiting for my 14 days to pass until I could retake segment 1.

Final thoughts:
The community is touting this exam as well rounded and a true litmus test of a SW "pro". I don't know if I can go along with that. The CSWP is a narrow exam. It fails to capture even a mere fraction of the skills taught in the basic part modeling and assembly classes. For example, I never needed to do a draft, revolve, loft, wrap, pattern (seriously? Yes.) or any drafting at all. I was amazed at how little knowledge was required at times and how repetitive it could be. I would say it's better than nothing, and it's not bad, but knowing that a candidate possessed such a certification would not affect my decision to recommend or hire them. I would say that you could probably rely on only one assumption and that is that the certified does not require basic training, however even that is suspect. If the certified passed the exam 10 years ago is he still a fluent user now? Moreover, the certified might not have any idea how to apply the more sophisticated featuring as the exam doesn’t cover it. Once again, patterns?! Really? How can that not be tested? And drafting? Not a single shred was tested yet the “SolidWorks Drawings” is a recommended training course for the CSWP. Lastly, and most importantly, the certified is not tested in resiliency. I’m talking about the errors, glitches, crashes, fubar, red lights, and philosophies that either make or break you. This is what makes a sophisticated, productive cad jockey versus a crusty old whiner (we all know both). This test does nothing to discern between these 2 people. The testing runs flawlessly and the toolset required is minimal.

Passing this test tells you something about the individual. It has value. Sure… but I can’t say that this particular certification is indicative of a “professional”. It tells me they were serious enough to take it in the first place. Maybe that is where the value lies.

Jack Lapham
Engr Sys Admin
Dell M6400 Covet (24 Season 8, Ep 22)
Intel Core 2 Duo T9800, 2.93GHz, 1066MHZ 6M L2 Cache
8.0GB, DDR3-1066 SDRAM, 2 DIMM
1Gb nVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M (8.17.12.5896)
W7x64 | sw-01: 55.92
SolidWorks x64sp4 in PDMWxE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tend to agree. It is possible to generate some fubar models and attain the correct answers... though fubar models are more difficult to modify for future questions so that will cause the taker to approach the time limit.

All things being equal though, I would prefer a candidate who has passed the exam(s) over one who hasn't taken them simply because it demonstrates initiative.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

I agree with ShaggyPE - I would prefer to hire someone that has taken and passed the test of a CSWP than someone that has not. Not only for taking the test, but because that also shows me that can use the software. We are having problems here with users not understanding the software and just building to suite their needs and not considering the design intent. It is becoming more and more dangerous as I review these parts as I get them.

The old 8 hour test not only did drawings, but it also tested your ability to resolve problems in your part and your assemblies. I too passed the 8 hour test at SW world in 2001... I know the new test is tough, but if you had taken the 8 hour one, you would have felt like you just completed a milestone in your life. It was pretty hard for me, since I don't take tests well, but because I knew Solidworks well is the main reason I passed. Plus I had nearly 5 years of using experience in SW and used SW for more than one process. A lot of people that take the test and only deal with one or two aspects of the software and they don't get the full view of the software.

Working for a VAR these last 8 years was a huge benefit for me. I recommend users to try working for a VAR if they are looking for work and want to get some training in the software. I had constant training as I wanted to take it. it was well worth my time working in support all those years. With working for a VAR that long and understanding the software like I do, as well as having my CSWP cert landed my CAD Administrator job here at Berry Plastics. I still support just over 100+ users here at Berry using SW. It very rewarding and I don't have to worry about some guy calling me every name in the book because the software doesn't work the way he thinks it should and how I should re-write the software.

Having your CSWP is great and don't let some people tell you its not important it is and can be useful to have. Its been great for me since I retained mine in 2001 and has proven to be well worth the time. Out of all the users here at Berry Plastics I am still the only users to have received the CSWP. I have talked 2 users here into taking the CSWP this coming year... I may not be the only one for much longer, but it still helped get me in the door to such a large well paying company.

Congrats on your CSWP use it well!
Cheers,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I unfortunately have to agree, though the surfacing and simulation tests I have taken afterward are a better indicator of skillset in my opinion.

CSWP-Surf

For the record if 2 candidates were [all things considered] equally matched, however 1 candidate had CSWP and the other didn't, I would agree the obvious selection would be the candidate w/ CSWP.

My main purpose was to draw out the limitations of the practice exam and the certification's efficacy.

- Jack

Jack Lapham
Engr Sys Admin

Eh, you newbies have it easy. Like Scott mentioned, the old exam was a beast. 8 hours covering virtually every aspect of core SolidWorks as well as an advanced modeling technique.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

Yeah, but most of that time was waiting for models to load on your Commodore.

In all seriousness you may have needed 8 hours to complete this exam back when we were running x86 XP off a P4 single core proc w/ 256Mb RAM and a 64Mb video card. [glasses]

Jack Lapham
Engr Sys Admin

The current CSWP test is a watered down version of what it used to be. Breaking up the test into sections as well as significantly reducing the price has resulted in a huge increase in the number of CSWPs, which was the corporate goal. While I think it is still a good thing to have, I think that a CSWP designation is most likely to only impress someone who doesn't really know a lot about the test or SolidWorks. I think this is part of the reason for the creation of the advanced courses and the CSWE status.

The disadvantage to alot of users in regards to the CSWE is that not everyone deals in some of the advanced areas that the CSWE tests the users on. My Current company is a plastics only company and there is no need to know Weldments. However because I worked for a Machine company prior I do understand and know weldments, minus the fact I did SW support for a few years. But everyone else in our facility probably know nothing of weldments, because you just don't use that plastic design.

When I tooke my CSWP in 2001 there were guys there that had only been using SW for a year and was thinking they were going to pass this test with ease... they were wrong.

I think that is going to be the hardest hurdle for users thinking there going to get their CSWE cert is the lack of advanced areas utilized.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
faq731-376

I don't suspect many hiring managers to know or pretend to know the differences between CSWA, P, E.

The CSWP was the obvious choice to me as I needed it for bbq and paintball at world this year [thumbsup2]

Jack Lapham
Engr Sys Admin

My hiring Manager knew exactly what the CSWP was and the difference between each. So don't assume that they don't because if they are involved in SW in any way they either do, or know someone in the group that does understand the difference and will ask them.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back