Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CT calculation 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

144x

Electrical
Mar 15, 2001
AU
can anyone show me with an example how to calculate
the over dimensioning required for a CT in order to keep
it from saturating due to transient effects?

Joan 271273 please forward me the CT info you have it would be greatly appricated.

Suggestion: Reference:
1. Sutherland P. E. "Applying CTs with Digital Ground Relays," IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp 71-79, March/April 2001
Reference 1 indicates that the best solution is to design the system to prevent the line CTs from full saturation during external phase faults. So beware of various clandestine calculations!

can anyone show me with an example how to calculate
the dimensioning required for a CT in order to keep
it from saturating due to transient effects?

See Chapter 3 of ANSI/IEEE Std. 242 (IEEE Buff Book). Basically, standard CTs for relaying (those in accordance with ANSI/IEEE C57.13) will be accurate within 10% at currents up to 20 times rated current at rated burden. If your maximum fault current is going to exceed 20 times the CT rated amperes, then you may have a saturation problem.

The CT can saturate for currents below 20x rated, due to transient DC component of the fault current waveform.
I have a copy of the 1976 edition of the Westinghouse Applied Protective Relaying book, which gives the following formula -

Transient saturation is avoided if :
Vk >= 6.28*I*R*T

Vk = CT kneepoint voltage
I= symmetrical secondary current, A RMS
R= total secondary resistance
T= dc time constant of the primary circuit in cycles
T=(Lp/Rp)*f
Lp = primary circuit inductance
Rp = primary circuit resistance
f = system frequency

This formula will give a reasonable approximation. More details are available from the folllowing reference:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back