Ct saturation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madka

Electrical
Feb 2, 2024
DE
I have a question about ct saturation calculation
I know that when the current transformer is saturated, the secondary current is disturbed and drops
In some documents and manuals instead of the maximum short-circuit current, relay setting current considered for saturation calculations.
The maximum short-circuit current is definitely higher than the relay setting current, and the current transformer may become saturated in this current and the relay may not recognize it correctly.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"...The maximum short-circuit current is definitely higher than the relay setting current, and the current transformer may become saturated in this current and the relay may not recognize it correctly."
I have the following opinion for your consideration.
1. In the IEC world refer to IEC 60044-1 for CT selection. For "protection", the standard Classes are 5P and 10P. The members identify the maximum permissible total error with rated accuracy limit current. Note: the letter P stands for "protection". The " Accuracy limit factors" : 5, 10, 15, 20, 30. E.g. 5P5, 5P30, ...
2. Suggestion: In case a 5P30 is under-rated for the application, use a 1A instead of 5A secondary current, with higher (I[sub]p[/sub]/I[sub]s[/sub]) current ratio and with higher rated (VA) burden.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

I'd suggest reading the manuals very carefully, and consulting with the product application support experts of the relay manufacturer.

It is true that sometimes a value less than the maximum fault level will be OK and some protection schemes can tolerate some saturation, but there is normally a multiplying factor applied (often with some very specific limitiations and conditions applied).

If these are not understood correctly, then there is a chance the scheme will not perform as desired.

The other issue to bear in mind is if the relay fails and you need to use something else then a low CT rating may limit future options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back